Pages

Monday 14 October 2013

The Organic Pharmacy Carrot Butter Balm Cleanser and Herbal Toner Review



I am writing this long overdue review of some items that I received form the wonderful Organic Pharmacy. They were the Carrot Butter Balm Cleanser and the Herbal Toner.

Some of you may know that I have battled with my dehydrated acne prone skin for many years and have tried every acne solution going, but its only been recently that I’ve tried a different approach by switching my skincare to more a gentle line for sensitive skins. Gone are the harsh foaming washes and oil free moisturisers and in come the balms and hydrating mists and creamy moisturizers.

In my quest to find the perfect combination I tried The Organic Pharmacy Carrot Butter Cleanser and Herbal Toner which I am going to review for you below.

Carrot Butter Cleanser

The thing I love about the Carrot Butter Balm is that its 100% organic and is made up minus any toxic and harsh chemicals. The gentle balm and the rich nourishing ingredients seemed like the perfect combination for my acne prone skin. The item arrived in a gorgeous white box and alongside the product Organic Pharmacy provides you with a muslin cloth and a little scoop so that you don’t need to use your fingers in the pot – which is amazing as you wont then be transferring any bacteria from your hands into the product. This is something I wish other balm makers would take note of!


So the official spiel says “Carrot Butter Cleanser is a balm cleanser that melts on contact with the skin. It is infused with antioxidant Carrot and Calendula as well as decongesting Rosemary and soothing Lavender for a really deep but gentle cleanse. It removes eye make up as well as dirt and pollution” which I think its pretty spot on!

The balm is actually quite solid in the pot, more solid than other balms I have come across, but it turns into an oil when warmed up in the hands and massaged into the face. This is great as it really means you can really massage it into the skin, but I found the oil left a residue even after removing with a hot wet cloth. I didn’t want to agitate my skin by scrubbing, but even with good firm swipes the residue was still there. I can imagine if you have drier skin then the slight residue would be soothing and calming and would leave you with beautiful smooth skin, but as an oily to combination girl I wasn’t too happy with it.

Another thing I wasn’t to overly keen on was the smell. I’m not sure what I was expecting but the smell is not overly pleasant. Kind of reminds me of liquorice! I guess with a name like carrot butter I was expecting a smooth rich carrot cake smell, well in my dreams!!

One thing I loved is that the website for the Organic Pharmacy lists the full ingredients which I wish more brands did and as you can see they are 100% natural. Fabulous!

All the ingredients used in this product

Overall it does remove make up and it does soften the skin and isn’t too harsh and even though it’s a small pot it does last ages. I have been using for a month now morning and night and Im halfway through the pot and for £34.96 for 75ml I think that’s pretty reasonably priced.

I think it would be great for dry/ combination skins and it doesn’t feel harsh or stripping on the skin. The only major thing I’ve noticed is that I’ve had slightly more breakouts and I think that’s down to the slight residue the balms leaving behind. I’m going to continue using it and see if the breakouts improve, although I won’t be purchasing as I don’t think its right for my skin personally.




Herbal Toner

The Herbal Toner I found was absolutely lovely! I usually use two types of toner on the face on the morning – one being exfoliating (Clarins gentle toner FYI) and then I spritz this after to rehydrate my skin and prepare it for moisturiser. I then used just this on the evening. By spritzing this toner after cleansing I find it soothing and cooling and I find my skin absorbs the moisturiser better. As we are now coming into winter I’m getting excited as I know by continuing to use this toner I won’t suffer from the dreaded dry skin caused by central heating/freezing winds in that never ending cycle.


The Organic Pharmacy website says “For normal or combination skin. Witch Hazel and Aloe are infused with 18 organic herbs acting synergistically to minimize pores and keep the skin in perfect condition. Fresh scent of Sicilian Lemons lift and tone the skin” and again this is very accurate.

The toner has a very light citrusy smell and I have noticed that my pores are smaller so this is definitely helping. I have also been spritzing this on my back as I suffer with slight acne there too and it has seriously helped with the skintone on my back. My back looks more even and certainly less red!

Again the list of ingredients is exciting to learn and it’s nice to know your spritzing something natural and soothing instead of laden with chemicals, here they are for all you that are interested:


The toner retails at £28.96 for 100ml and although slightly higher priced than most toners this is definitely something I will be purchasing when it runs out. I’ve found that 2 spritz’ is enough for my face (1 spritz on my neck, 1 spritz on my chest and 2 spritz on my back) and I’ve only used a quarter of the bottle so far in a month which is great!

Overall this is a fab toner which I think all skin types would benefit from and I definitely cant sing its praises high enough and I’m not surprised its one of Organic Pharmacy’s best sellers!




* products were provided to me to review from Debenhams Beauty Club. 

1 comment:

  1. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete