Pages

Friday 12 April 2013

DIY Beauty Tips and Tricks - Top 10 Most Asked Questions

Hiya Ladies!!


Well I have been offering advice on forums to you lovely ladies and below I thought I thought I would put the 10 most common questions and my answers into a lovely blog for you all. Please feel free to comment and ask any other questions you may have or head to my facebook page at www.facebook.com/herefordbridalbeauty for further tips and tricks!!


1. How do I make my round face slimmer?

Firstly use your normal concealer to cover any blemishes and under eye circles

Secondly take a highlighting concealer like Touché Éclat by YSL and highlight your cheeks just below your eyes, the cupids bow (the v in your top lip), down the centre of your nose and above your brow on the outer corners and under the brow in the arch. Then blend into your skin like crazy, so you can’t really see them. A good brush to use is a nice fluffy brush. Real Techniques Contour Brush is perfect.

Next take a small blush brush and with a good bronzer such as Chanel's bronzer or Boujoris chocolate bronzer put a strip from your middle ear to just below the apples of the cheeks. Also just under your chin and along your temples. Then take a big powder brush and blend and bluff these stripes into the skin. Finish with a loose dusting of loose powder to set.

 

The highlighting with the concealer will draw focus to those areas and the bronzing will create depth and shadow. Together they create a 3 dimensional look.





2. I suffered from acne in my 30's and now I am left with redness in my cheeks and broken veins. How can I cover these?

 
A good foundation is Clinique’s anti blemish foundation. It contains Salicylic Acid which is an amazing blemish fighting ingredient. It’s also great at covering redness and I use this a lot on clients with grumpy skin.

If you do want to stick with your bb cream then I suggest getting your self a yellow concealer. This will tone done the redness and neutralise the skin colour and you can just apply on the areas that need it. Benefit Cosmetics do a great one called “You’re Bluffing" or you could even try their Lemonaid eye base as this is quick neuralising. These concealers should also cover the veins as well. 




3. I have dark blonde eyebrows and they are a little sparse how can I make them look fuller?

 
Head to benefit Cosmetics and pick up one of their Browzings kits. They only do 3 colours. Blonde, Light Brown, Dark Brown, so I would pick up a light brown shade. The kit comes with a matte powder, wax, two brushes and a pair of tweezers.

Firstly colour wise. I said light brown as it’s always best to go a shade darker than your natural brow. If you go lighter it will really stand out and look odd.


You need to dip the brush in the powder and apply through the middle of the brow in little flicks, this mimics little hairs. While doing this every so often blend the brow with a cotton bud. This will make it blend with your natural hairs and will push the colour to outer edges of the brow without being obvious. Then take the other brush and dip it into the wax. Lightly comb the wax through the hairs. This sets the powder and gives the brow a uniformed look. I then take a brow brush and brush through the hairs and I finish by pinching the hairs together to get a sleek polished finish.

You only need to apply lightly and you will instantly notice a difference. The more you get used to it the more stronger you will be able to take the brow. 



4. I suffer from acne and I have tried loads of products, but nothing works. How can I improve how it looks?

 
If you have tried most products then there are only a few I can recommend. Try Eve Taylor's facial oil in No 3. It’s for blemish prone skin. Apply each evening and it should calm the skin down and give it a vitamin boost. It costs about £10.50.

Also try a product called Vichy dermablend. I use it as a concealer to cover really bad scarring and uneven skintone and then I apply Clinique’s anti blemish foundation but you could use it the dermablend as a foundation? It may feel heavier though. Then pop on some blusher, lipgloss and mascara. You will feel much better if you play up your other features and make them the centre of attention. 


5. How do I make my eyeliner last without it smearing over my eyes?

 
Try a waterproof eyeliner - for pencil try Boujoris waterproof eyeliner and for gel try Macs gel liner in blacktrack I think it’s called. They are both great and wont budge.

For extra hold apply a eye primer like Urban Decay's eye potion and powder your eyelid before applying your eyeshadow and eyeliner. 


6. How do I get a smokey eye without looking like a panda?

 
I think your problem might be blending and being too heavy handed. Apply a silver or cream coloured eyeshadow over the lid. Next take a grey and apply in the crease and the outer corner and blend so that there is no harsh line between the grey and silver. next take a black and lightly apply just at the outer corner like a little and blend lightly inwards like >, don’t go too far across the lid or else it will all look dark just blend a little to the lash line and in the crease. Add a little of the white under the brow arch and in the inner corner of the eye. Finish with eyeliner and lots of mascara!


7. I have Blue Eyes, pale skin and brown hair. I never wear lipstick could you suggest some for me to try? 
 
Lipsticks you should try are Mac angel. The pink will highlight your eyes and also try a red. Keep your face matte, add your pink blush and black eyeliner and mascara and let the lipstick take centre stage. 

If your hair is very dark brown try benefits zero guilt or Chanel’s fire. But there are so many shades of red you just need to find one that works perfectly with you and be confident when wearing! 

Another great lip colour for you to try is Nars Mexican love velvet lip pencil. It’s like a chubby lipstick/ balm in a pencil and the colour is a raspberry pink. It will look lovely.


8. Could you suggest a good concealer. I always seem to have dark circles under my eyes.

 
If you have the budget I would use Mac select cover up. It’s a great little concealer that has a skin finish, so it doesn’t have a texture and a little goes a long way. It doesn’t have any shimmer or highlighting properties and so wont show up in photos etc. it really will look just normal skin.

If you have really dark under eye or those dark marks left by blemishes then Vichy dermablend foundation is great used as a concealer. It’s a product that a lot of people use to cover very bad skin or scars, but it’s so thick that I wouldn’t use it as a foundation just a concealer. It’s about £15 for a 30ml tube so you get plenty and you can get it from Amazon or boots.


Apply concealer with your ring finger and not a brush as the heat from your fingers will help it blend well. Also try and pat rather than push as you might get more on your finger than skin. Once patted in, apply a little loose powder over the top with a fluffy eyeshadow brush to seal and then repeat with the concealer and powder if needed. 


Then apply your regular foundation over the top and it should give you a smooth blank canvas. The powder over the concealer will give it ultimate staying power!!


9. How do I find the right foundation shade? 

 
We all have that problem and it’s so frustrating when you get that foundation home only to find it’s the wrong shade!! As I do mostly bridal work I firstly avoid any foundations that have an SPF as the SPF gives any foundation a ghostly whitish look. It always shows up on photos!!

Secondly when you’re in the shop the lighting there is terrible and actually gives your skin a paler look. The best way to test a foundation is by putting a little dot of it on your nose to get a good colour match, but I understand about putting it on your face in a shop. The way I do it is by putting a stripe of each colour on my inner arm (this is a good colour match for your face) and then going outside to look at which one matches my skin tone. It might feel odd doing it and the security guards might give you a funny look, but it’s amazing to see the difference of the stripes in natural light to artificial lights!


Also on clients I tend to put warmer foundation shades on cooler skins and vise versa. I tend to find that warmer shades on warmer skintones make them look more pinker than they are. I myself have pinker tones and I find that creamy coloured foundations look the best to get me a flawless complexion.


10. Could you suggest a really good waterproof mascara? I always seem to get panda eyes!!

 My favourite for years now and probably always will be now is Loreal Million Lashes in blackest black. They do a waterproof version which I used on my wedding day and holidays and it never budges. But if like me you have a stash of mascaras that you need to use up then I would suggest you get a waterproof clear topcoat.

Lash Genius is great £7.50 Anastasia Beverly Hills | Lash Genius | Cult Beauty

Its a clear silicone top coat that you put ontop of your normal mascara. I've used it to go swimming with and it works for me in the pool to stop me looking like a panda. As its silicone it wont dry out your eyelashes and it wont cause any problems with your normal mascara. 

No comments:

Post a Comment